• en
  • es
  • pl
  • it


Via del Serafico, 1; 00142 Roma; tel.centr.: [+39] 06.515031; portineria@seraphicum.org; www.seraphicum.org



The Seraphicum consists of two legally distinct and separate facilities: the Friary of St. Bonaventure and the Pontifical Theological Faculty of St. Bonaventure. The Seraphicum belongs to the Order of Friars Minor Conventual. The name “Seraphicum” comes from the title “Seraphic Doctor” which is attributed to St. Bonaventure of Bagnoregio, a Franciscan who gave philosophical and theological focus to the thought and evangelical life of St Francis of Assisi. The Seraphicum is located in a park, surrounded by lovely, natural greenery, 500 meters from the Abbey of the Three Fountains, where, according to tradition, the apostle Paul was beheaded and many Christians were martyred by order of the Emperor Diocletian. The Seraphicum was inaugurated on October 11, 1964 and is the direct descendent of the College of Saint Bonaventure founded in 1587 by Pope Sixtus V.  Originally located within the General Curia of the Order, the College was attached to the Basilica of the Twelve Holy Apostles, in Rome. Later, in 1894, the Seraphic College was moved to Via San Teodoro, in the Velabrum Valley at the foot of the Palatine Hill.



Friary of St. Bonaventure

This refers to the local religious community of Conventual Franciscan friars. It is placed under the immediate jurisdiction of the Minister General of the Order. It consists of two different entities with special autonomy: the Stable Community and the Formation Community or the International College.

The Stable Community is made up of friars who teach in the Theological Faculty of Saint Bonaventure, are formators or serve in other areas of the Order. Their specific mission is to take care of the intellectual and intercultural dimension of formation and to deepen the historical, theological and spiritual understanding of the Order’s charism, identity, mission and spirituality (see Seraphicum Statute, 2.2).

The Formation Community or International College is made up of student friars (simply or solemnly professed), who live in the friary for a few years and attend either the Pontifical Theological Faculty of St. Bonaventure or another Roman Pontifical Faculty.



One experiences the unity of the community in the sense of a single Fraternity dedicated to the same vocation and specific commitment: the integral and intercultural formation of each friar.

Community Officials
Guardian: Friar Felice Fiasconaro; Vicar: Friar Orlando Todisco; Rector: Friar Adam Mączka; Econom: Friar Corrado Algarotti. Each of them is a member of the Guardian’s Council which also includes the Dean of the Faculty: Friar Dinh Anh Nhue Nguyen. 

Friar Felice Fiasconaro OFMConv, Guardian
2016, October



Pontifical Theological Faculty

The Pontifical Theological Faculty of St. Bonaventure was erected on January 24, 1905, within the International Seraphic College of Friars Minor Conventual in Rome (Italy). Its origin and uninterrupted tradition are traced directly back to the ancient General Study universities of the Order.

1935 was a highly significant year for the Faculty: the Sacred Congregation of Seminaries and University Studies promulgated a decree which, in addition to definitively approving the Faculty’s new statutes, it also granted the title "Pontifical".

Thanks to the recognition of the Holy See, it was able to stand out formally on the Roman academic landscape as the Pontificia Facultas Theologica Fratrum Minorum Conventualium in Urbe. It is no coincidence that this very important step happened on June 13, the feast of St. Anthony, the first Master of the Order and the future Evangelical Doctor of theology.

Another step towards the present structure was the addition of the name St. Bonaventure.  On January 13, 1955 the Congregation issued a decree granting the Faculty the distinctive name of its patron.

Thus the Pontifical Theological Faculty of St. Bonaventure, building on its long history of facing difficult times with the power of faith, under the guidance of authoritative masters, continued its activities. It offered an academic tradition developed over the centuries by respected scholars of the Order. This cultural richness became even grander in 1973, when the Faculty implemented new statutes in compliance with the post conciliar norms of the Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education. From then on, its courses of study became accessible not only to members Order but also to external students, whether they were clergymen or laymen.




Following the courses offered by the Faculty, one can earn the academic degrees of Baccalaureate, Licentiate and Doctorate.

There is a wide range of academic offerings for certified education and continuing study. These includes the Kolbean Chair which covers  study on the thought and witness of former student St. Maximilian Kolbe; the Franciscan Theological Institute for Asian Studies (F.I.A.T.S.); the Mulieris Dignitatem Research Institute for the Study of Male-Female United Duality; the Academia Cardinalis Bessarionis – Cultus et lectura Patrum; the course for Pastoral Graphology; the Chair of Intercultural Dialogue based in Ragusa.

The Faculty offers its students a Library consisting of two main divisions. One is the ancient division which contains manuscripts, incunabula, early editions and books of the period between the 16th and 19th centuries. The other is the modern division with texts starting from 1800.

The Faculty's scientific instrument is the semiannual review Miscellanea Francescana. It is the oldest magazine of scientific Franciscan studies at the national and international level.  It aims to spread Franciscan thought and culture with reflections on Franciscan history, theology, philosophy and spirituality. Since 1935, Miscellanea Francescana has also been a Publishing House by the same name, which mainly prints works in the field of Christology and Franciscanism.

For a Franciscan take on daily ecclesial and social happenings, the Faculty offers the monthly San Bonaventura informa, an information tool that takes advantage of the editorial contributions of the professors.

In 1964, Cineforum arose from the cultural richness of the Seraphicum. It offers movie fans a professional viewing venue and in-depth discussion of films and topical issues. 

The Seraphicum Press Office; press.seraphicum@gmail.com
2016, October


Login Form

Write User Name and Password

To obtain access information go to >>> registration

WordPress Video Lightbox Plugin